Now that Nintendo Wii U console is already out in the market, it is time to check if it is backward compatible and if GameCube games are supported by this most anticipated console this month.
Is Nintendo Wii U Backward Compatible with GameCube games?
According to Reggie Fils-Aime, President and Chief Operating Officer of Nintendo of America, the new Wii console will not support GameCube games. And there is no ports on console for Gamecube controllers. This is a sad news for GameCube fans. I think there is still a way to do it. GameCube games will be available for download only.
Nintendo Wii U backwards compatibility list
- Wii (game discs)
- GameCube (downloads only)
- Nintendo 64
- Super Nintendo
- Neo Geo
- SEGA Master System
Nintendo Wii U Console – 32GB Black Deluxe Set
Includes: Black Wii U Console, one Black Wii U GamePad controller, Wii U GamePad Stand/Cradle Set, Wii U Console Stand, Nintendo Land Game Disc.
- Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible with Wii games and Wii accessories.
- IBM Power-based multi-core microprocessor.
- Up to four Wii Remote (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once. The new console supports all Wii controllers and input devices, including the Nunchuk™ controller, Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro and Wii Balance Board.
- Approximately 1.8 inches tall, 6.8 inches wide and 10.5 inches long.
- Uses AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI.