Sometimes, IBM Lotus Notes users want to migrate to the Exchange Online as it offers various benefits like cost efficiency, zero-maintenance, and universal accessibility. Also, it is quite difficult for non-technical persons to use and manage Lotus Notes application. Therefore, it is natural that many Lotus Notes users are anxious to move their data to the Office 365. Hence, in this Blog, we will describe Lotus Notes to Exchange Online migration process. Before going towards the solution, first, let’s have a look at the reasons behind this migration.
Note: Try the best solution i.e Lotus Notes application migration tool to export Lotus Notes or the Domino server to Exchange Online / Office 365, MS Outlook & Live Exchange Server.
Why Does a User Need to Convert Domino to Exchange Online?
- Exchange Online allows users to work from mobiles, tablets, and laptops anywhere.
- Exchange Online is a cloud service, so it provides backup feature and protects against the data loss.
- High availability and redundancy of large mailboxes, public cloud, and collaboration of mailboxes offered by Exchange Online.
- Office 365 or Exchange Online provides a deep searching feature for content in mailboxes.
- IBM Lotus Notes is expensive and needs technical expertise to access it.
Migrate IBM Lotus Notes to Exchange Online Using IMAP
Users can take help of the IMAP Connector in migrating their IBM Lotus Notes data to Exchange Online. The entire manual procedure can be shared into four different steps as shown below:
Step 1: Create a Backup of Lotus Notes Files
In the first step, you should create a backup of all NSF files. It is required to be successfully done before starting the migration process. Because none of the manual methods can be completely secure and accurate. However, in case of data loss or corruption, backup files help to retrieve back your NSF files.
Step 2: Create New Mailboxes
After taking the backup of Lotus Notes files, the next important step is to create a new mailbox for every user who is using Lotus Notes desktop email client.
Step 3: Enable IMAP TCP/IP Port for All Users
In the third step, you have to enable the IMAP TCP/IP ports for all users. For this, perform these following steps:
- First of all, run the Domino Administrator in Lotus Notes.
- Here, click on the Configuration tab.
- Now, open the Server document for the server which runs on the IMAP service.
- Then, go to the Ports >> Internet Ports >> Mail tab.
- After that, enable the default IMAP TCP/IP Port.
- For this, change the “TCP/IP port value status” to “Enabled” in the IMAP column.
- Finally, click on Save button and then Exit.
Step 4: Connect & Synchronize Mails via IMAP Connector
Once you enabled the IMAP TCP/IP port for every user, now you have to synchronize IBM Lotus Notes emails in Exchange Online.
Finally, you have successfully done Lotus Notes to Exchange Online migration process after performing all these four steps. However, there are some limitations associated with this process which is discussed in the next section.
Limitations of Manual Approach
- The manual method is very lengthy, complex and costly.
- It cannot migrate NSF mailboxes data greater than 1 GB.
- It involves applying lots of filters that are quite tricky and costly.
- The manual approach allows only online data to Exchange Online migration.
- It is difficult to enter the calendar entries manually in the IMAP Connector process.
An Error-Free Method for Lotus Notes to Exchange Online Migration
Going with the manual approach to export Domino to Exchange Online, users found some limitations with it. Therefore, at this point, users look for a solution to convert IBM Notes all data items to Exchange Online. In such case, SysTools Mail Migration Wizard is the best solution to export NSF files to Exchange Online in bulk. This software offers all the astonishing features, which are required to perform IBM Lotus Notes to Exchange Online migration. Moreover, if talking about the aspect of data integrity then, the tool guarantees that there will be no any data loss during the conversion process with help of this utility.
Working With Mail Migration Wizard
1. First of all, run the Mail Migration tool and add NSF files.
2. Then, select Office 365 option from Export options as a destination.
3. Now, enter the Admin Credentials and apply various filters on them.
4. Finally, Lotus Notes to Exchange Online migration process is completed successfully.
In this article, we have described the Lotus Notes to Exchange Online migration process by using IMAP and also covered the reasons to transfer Domino to Exchange Online. Along with it, a professional solution is also mentioned to carry out the task in an efficient way. It can easily migrate mailbox items like contacts, emails, calendars, and tasks from the NSF file to Exchange Online in just a few clicks.